Can you see me??!?!??!

Monday, 26 January 2004

Happy Australia Day!

For all the ex-pats out there, the BBC suggests some barbeque basics that we should all know when paying homage to the homeland.

I was also pleased to see that the federal government has a special little site to tell us what we should be doing on this rather.. um... innocuous holiday. Some of my American friends like their holidays so much I struggled to fill them in on just why we have Australia Day, apart from an excuse for some fireworks.

There is a fancy food magazine called Gastronomica, where there is an article in the Fall 2003 issue entitled "Vegemite as a Marker of National Identity". This argued that studies have shown Vegemite is just about the only foodstuff which clearly indicates a country of origin. I wish I could point you to the article online, but of course, they want you to buy their fancy magazine, so it doesn't seem to be available.

Advance Australia Fair!
Posted at 10:41 pm
HOME


Listed on Technorati.