Can you see me??!?!??!

Wednesday, 11 February 2009

Digital Lives, British Library

Digital Lives, British Library

Unfortunately, I couldn't be in London for the first conference of the Digital Lives program at the British Library. But, I was able to "give a talk" there, using Second Life. Sadly, it was at the very end of their long day, I was in a virtual world jumping all over the place like a spaz, and the people over there were rushed out at the end, but, maybe that's a positive.

Jeremy John (the first curator of digital manuscripts at the Library) asked me to talk about institutions and long-term relationships with online service providers... Here's what he asked me to think about:
A key thing is the possibility of longterm relationships for online service providers and libraries and repositories; or at least agreements that might stipulate what happens if OSP enters difficulties (eg digital objects offered to the national library first etc). Could legal metadata be somehow incorporated into the tagging: eg participants tag that they are willing for their content to go to the library under x, y, z conditions... Etc.

Thought I'd dump my notes out here...


about me
in the business of forever
sustainable enterprise?
transitory benefits
collecting context
13,000,000 Flickr hits count
new experts revealed
useful information
actual catalogue updates
retain a sense of the "rare"
don't give everything away
sustainable enterprise?
Posted at 7:40 pm

Listed on Technorati.