A new leaf.

I'm very excited about my first day at work tomorrow in my new job at the Internet Archive, here in San Francisco, in the beautiful Presidio. I'll be heading up the Open Library project.

I'm looking forward to working with new, clever people and getting my hands dirty again. I'm charged with leading the Open Library into fresh, fun territory; to enlist many hands to make "a page on the web for every book ever published" a great resource. I'm thrilled to be working with Brewster Kahle and his crack team in an important time for books on the web.

It has been an interesting few months of semi-idleness for me. Apart from catching up on a lot of lost sleep and cooking a lot, I've talked with lots of people about opportunities and work, always hoping to find a position that followed on from the work I began last year in the cultural heritage sector. I felt as if it would have been a waste to simply return to a "design job," and I was keen to try to continue on the wonderful flow I had created. I'm excited to bring my ideas on things like messy data and the foibles of labelling to somewhere like the Archive. I think it will bear fruit.

In the immortal words of whoever it was, "Who knows what the future brings us? Only a fool, they say."