Not a whimper, but a bang

The British Library has just released one million (yes, 1,000,000) images into The Commons on Flickr.

Image taken from page 464 of 'The eventful voyage of H.M. Discovery Ship “Resolute” to the Arctic Regions in search of Sir J. Franklin. ... To which is added an account of her being fallen in with by an American Whaler after her abandonment ... and of her

This is me writing a big THANK YOU to Daniel Bogan, Fiona Miller and Kay Kremerskothen for keeping The Commons alive after I was fired at the end of 2008. That's FIVE years ago.

Now, I'm not sure of the exact numbers... but, I am sure that all the institutions that have joined in the fun have enjoyed more views than hoped for. In some cases, MILLIONS more people than would ever have visited in the physical world have seen these wondrous images. That even includes the case of the gigantic British Library. (That last one's a prediction. I'll lay money down.)

Wow. Wow. Wow. WOW.