COVID-19 Journal: Day 6

Just keeping you on your toes, missing Day 5. But I can tell you about it now. Got to change things up in the New Normal, otherwise we'll get sloppy.

It's Friday, but I don't particularly care for the Get Dressed Up At Home Because It's Friday thing. Sorry. But, I am yoga-d, showered, dressed, family-d.

Yesterday I felt like the DEVIL, when a delivery arrived. It was bloody cat litter, on a subscribe-and-save I'd forgotten about. It's definitely important to get cat litter - I have no idea where the cats would shit if I didn't have any... they were well-brought up to use it, and don't know any other way, although, that said, the ginger one wees in the bath sometimes, which is a bit gross, but efficient. I'm very sorry about that, Delivery Man.

Yesterday, I took my one-hour prison walk, equally sunny and springy, waving at strangers (and getting big smiles and waves back!). Pedestrians negotiated polite distance. Sometimes with thank yous, sometimes with averted eyes.

So much potential! (Needs a haircut.)

But, I was also getting low on fresh food -- just a kohlrabi and some kale left -- so I had to go to the Shops. (That's not true, of course, but, there's absolutely something in our urban minds that's kicking off now about making sure you have food squirrelled away.) So I went to the Tesco.

I was tempted by the tulips etc, but thought NO TO FRIPPERY (for now). Bread shelves empty. Meat shelves empty, except for fish. Got some salmon. I had a list, mostly fruit, veg, bread, milk. Went to small fruit/veg bit. Busted social distance with the packer who was restocking stuff. We both said sorry. Grabbed some broccoli. Spotted loads of chicken breasts right next to that stack. Asked the close packer if I could have one packet and he said of course. So, I did, and I'll cook the crap out of it because who knows how long it had not been in the fridge. Let's hope it's not my LAST MEAL.

It was fine. It's all fine.

I got home and washed my groceries. I'm a play-in-the-dirt person, so it was profoundly odd to -- for the first time ever -- try to take account of exactly where my hands might have been, and where the virus could possibly have gotten on to. My brother and sis-in-law had counselled that you can just leave stuff be for 1-2 days and the virus will probably die but how do you do that with fridge stuff so I washed the fridge stuff.

That was weird.

It's Day 6. I want to sit in the sun with my neighbours or go for a bike ride with my friend or have a beer in a beer garden. I wish the sun was a bit higher in the sky, but, I still have my health, and as my darling Grandma used to say, "I can't complain."

(I will later though, FOR SURE.)

And, by the way, making paneer only takes 30 MINUTES, people. I'll definitely be trying that. And maybe ricotta and queso fresca. Fucking love fresh cheese. YES. 

Aim low, succeed often.