COVID-19 Journal: Day 15

As I mentioned, my plan for today was to be outside. I awoke to family call. I have to be honest and say this morning I would have preferred to stay snoozing but you know pandemic and all that.

Got up etc. Met a woman near a swan's nest for a ketchup handover and quick chat. (I think the way to do this without getting moved on is to wear sports gear and do a stretch every 5-10 minutes.)

I knew I wanted to go on a big ride and I've heard good things about Hackney Marshes, so I thought yes, I'll just ride there from the swan's nest and that'll be easy.

But, London is not like that.

You think you're following the sun. You think you know where you are, but no, friends. All the streets are wiggly as fuck. Before you know it you've ridden to fucking Leytonstone and you don't quite know which direction Hackney is anymore. But, then you see a sign and you follow it and it's fine but you're quite thirsty because you didn't bring water because you weren't planning on being out for quite this long but then you get home and have a big glass of water and a spectacular orange and it's good.

Also had a cheeky gin on the late sun stoop with dear neighbours. I suspect we'll get extremely good at this.

Here are some pictures from what's practically Essex let's face it:

This is Lynsey photographing tadpoles. She made the delicious ketchup.

Hands up who knew a male swan is a cob? He nearly bashed a small dog up too, which was entertaining.

This was actually quite near Hackney Marshes although I had absolutely no idea of that at the time.

Here East deserted.


I know this tree! Close to home. Phew.

Also, I watched the Queen's speech on telly. I'd give her a solid 9/10. I felt quite British.

Her Royal Highness