COVID-19 Journal: Day 22

I've been taking a holiday from the news for Easter. I saw a funny tweet today though: Boris not only owes the NHS his life, he also owes them £350 million a week.

Had a sleep in today after waking up a bit during the night. Went for a ride. Finsbury Park, Clissold Park, Lincoln's Inn Fields, Canonbury. I enjoyed the quiet streets, and there was a particular bit in the loop of Finsbury Park that was like when they say in movies they have to slingshot around some planet to get where they need to go. Scary fast! Had to be careful of all the other Londoners "Staying Home" too. There was also an ominous armoured police van driving slowly on the grass in Clissold Park. I was going to take a picture but didn't. Someone else did, on Friday:



I'd arranged a few days ago to cook a roast lunch for Easter via Zoom with a few girlfriends. I wasn't sure it would be good, but it was. We nattered away for an hour or so, the way you do when you're with friends preparing a meal. I also spatchcocked a chicken. Another first! Yay, pandemic.



It worked a treat. Cooked in half the time! It was a bit gruesome -- you have to do two major cuts down either side of the backbone, then flip the bird and crack the ribcage -- It was funny when it was cooked because it looked a bit shy, somehow. Now I have a lot of chicken. I also made a roasted cauliflower spiced dip thingy that was extremely garlicky (and still is), and some rice full of herbs and some cucumber. The eating alone bit was strange, and ended a bit abruptly, but, overall, I was glad to see the people who joined in.

My neighbours (who are from New York) made themselves a New York cheesecake, and gave me a slice. It was delicious! And another neighbour (who was about 4) gave me a bag of apples. Unexpected but welcome! He was happy to do it which was nice to engage with. I've been swapping the odd bit of food here and there with the neighbours. I like that, and hope it continues.

I wonder what else will continue. I'm sure we all do. I'm hoping everyone keeps exercising for an hour a day - I bet that would be a net gain, especially in the mental health department. I hope we can be imaginative and not cynical in developing our civil recoveries.

I'm going to treat tomorrow as another holiday too, as one should.