COVID-19 Journal: Day 76

Call me crazy, but I think there's a reincarnated soul who's now inhabiting a robin trying to tell me something. The little bird with a red breast has been in my garden for about a week now chirping, well, like it's possessed. I've tried to strike up conversation a couple of times, but I think it's on a bit of a one-way track to chirpville. As far as I can tell, it's on its own. Did I get those it's-es right?

Sadly, now that I've checked Dr. Internet, I think I've managed to inflict carpal tunnel on myself. She says as she takes the laptop off her Poison Ergo Island, turns 90', crosses her legs and puts her laptop on her lap and types this. OMG. Laptops are supposed to go on laps. Not on old writing desks with what's actually a conference chair that can't be raised to match it. So that's fucking annoying. The other day my wrists were so painful I couldn't even do this:

So that's shit.

But here's the good news: the Mayor of Washington, DC, Muriel Bowser, gave the Mumbling Cheeto Fascist a giant FUCK YOU today when she gave volunteers permission to paint a gigantic BLACK LIVES MATTER sign in bright yellow on 16th, visible from the White House.




And she also renamed the street right in front to Black Lives Matter Plaza, which is fucking fantastic.



It's such a relief to watch positive things. I like imagining how the Mumbling Cheeto Fascist is reacting behind close doors.

FUCK YOU, TRUMP.

I've been researching the work of Franklin D. Roosevelt and the New Deal. Running from 1933-1939, it was a federal program of support for social strength, financial reform, and public works to aid recovery from the Great Depression. Apparently it was ultimately deemed a failure by some, because, even though it helped people for the six or so years it continued, it put money into the pockets of "trusts". I'm still looking into that (thanks Library of Congress).

I read Roosevelt's Inauguration Speech delivered March 4th, 1933. Here's how he opens:

I am certain that my fellow Americans expect that on my induction into the Presidency I will address them with a candor and a decision which the present situation of our nation impels.  This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole truth, frankly and boldly.  Nor need we shrink from honestly facing conditions in our country today.  This great nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper.  So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself -- nameless, unreasoning unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.  In every dark hour of our national life a leadership of frankness and vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves, which is essential to victory.  I am convinced that you will again give that support to leadership in these critical days.

You might want to refresh your memory on the fear-mongering performance of the Mumbling Cheeto Fascist at his inauguration 83 years later. I don't recall him ever saying anything hopeful, ever, at all.

I've watched the handful of late night White guys, Seth, Jimmy, James etc on this week. They're trying to denounce things but they come across as nonchalant, to me at least. But, at least they're not supportive and they're not ANGRY. Yes, humour has a place, but.

I read the short essay by Audre Lorde called The Transformation of Silence into Language and Action (PDF), and then stumbled on Jimmy Fallon apologising for performing in black face and addressing that he could have stayed silent, but instead, he's talking about it with NAACP President Derrick Johnson, who was graceful and generous.

I'm really enjoying Seeing White, the podcast. It's really useful. Please listen to it. And then take another look at the lies that the Mumbling Cheeto Fascist is mumbling with impunity.

Fuck I hope more Americans vote this time.