COVID-19 Journal: Day 105

I have a new definition for party. It's not getting slaughtered with people at one of any of the pubs open today -- what a shitshow that will be. Or, rather, a wee show, I guess, mostly. Apparently loos aren't open at venues? (I don't know that for certain.) Anyway, the new definition is any group less than six that hangs out together where not everyone knew each other beforehand. Therefore, I just had my first party! And it was a smasher. Mum suggested it the other day. It's Independence Day, and I'm feeling sorry for my American friends because Mumbling Cheeto Fascist is now pointing at the Good Fight calling them the fascists and denying there's any problem at all with the country in fucking desperate need of leadership that isn't this. 

I invited five, and three Ls came: Lou, Lynsey & Lis, and we had a barbecue. My little firepit works like a dream after Dan and I did some modifications. I marinaded chicken thighs last night in every spice I had and ginger beer and it was delicious. I made Cobbler for dessert because America, and we sat happily in the backyard and ate and chatted and laughed and lo, it was a party. 


Treviso & Fennel for the barbie

Cobbler

Le Jardin

Now the house is full of dishes which I'll do tomorrow because I can't be bothered. I like small parties the best.

Have a look at this abridged version of Frederick Douglass' Independence Day speech from 1852, tweeted by Ibram Kendi. 

What, to the American slave, is your 4th of July? I answer; a day that reveals to him, more than all other days in the year, the gross injustice and cruelty to which he is the constant victim. To him, your celebration is a sham; your boasted liberty, an unholy license; your national greatness, swelling vanity; your sounds of rejoicing are empty and heartless; your denunciation of tyrants, brass fronted impudence; your shouts of liberty and equality, hollow mockery; your prayers and hymns, your sermons and thanksgivings, with all your religious parade and solemnity, are, to Him, mere bombast, fraud, deception, impiety, and hypocrisy -- a thin veil to cover up crimes which would disgrace a nation of savages. There is not a nation on the earth guilty of practices more shocking and bloody than are the people of the United States, at this very hour. 

What a storm he must have been. And let's just pause and realise that this speech was made 168 years ago.