COVID-19 Journal: Day 151

I was about to say that I'm not that interesting at the moment. I was about to say I'm largely inert. But, that's patently not the case, in that I've been practically the opposite, it would seem, for the last 150 days or so. Somehow, I've managed to peck a few hundred words down most days, about largely nothing, which may prove to be be something at some point for someone. Maybe for me.

Today, I pretended to work again, attending my first Zoom call in a while. It was to discuss a speculative entry in a climate-related competition coming up. One of the other two folks on the call was a friend, the other an acquaintance. After initial waving and glancing back at oneself, I claimed myself somewhat feral, to which my friend replied oh you mean like unwashed and I said ahem no spiritually feral and they said untethered and I said yes. My idea was to make an exhibition that was a replica of a blockbuster exhibition in miniature, with a Museum in a Box of course, and explain how much money and climate we'd saved to produce it, versus the exorbitant, extravagant expense of making the one that happened in the museum, and then show how the miniature version could be even better than the actual one because you can touch stuff and listen to more things, more points of view. So we'll see how that goes. It was a sprawling Zoom and I fear I was middle-distancing a bit much, but my cat's tail drew fire.

I am also currently slow roasting some pork ribs in god knows what but as we all know, if you cook meat like that long enough it turns into gold. Porchemy.

I'm adventuring a fair bit this month, which I am happy with. I'm going away for several days to get my eyes tested in Durham next week so may not be able to write this. We'll see if I take my laptop, or not.

Photos from the last two days include:

Yesterday's lunch

Family Portrait, 2020. Jenn called it "positively Vermeerian".

Ginger cat and I listen to Professor Bell tell us about the previous three industrial revolutions...

Today I enjoyed Genevieve Bell's presentation, The 4th Industrial Revolution: Responsible & Secure AI, for the Long Now Foundation's seminar series, which continues unabated by the virus, and Black masculinity and language, a show on BBC2 featuring Jeffrey Boakye and JJ Bola discussing taboo and stereotypes around black masculinity, how it might be internalised, described and performed and their relation to self-preservation (via Vanessa Kisuule).

I did briefly consider applying for the 3AI Masters program, running in Canberra next year, you know, to keep humanity in technology. (Don't tell Mum.)