COVID-19 Journal: Day 225

Hmm. Another lockdown then. Mostly stay at home. Don't be relaxed about moving around in public spaces. Only do it if you have to. I have to admit to some hedonistic impulses. Just for the three or four days warning they've given us. Eat at all my favourite places, breakfast lunch and dinner, get drunk? Touch people more (asking first). Not endangering hedonism, if that's even possible. Maybe hedonism always harms someone. Even though the rules seem slightly more lenient this round, there are a few I'm unhappy about (but will endure):

  • I cannot meet you in a private garden.
  • Museums will close again - I'd enjoyed a few snuck and quiet art visits
  • I can go to playgrounds
  • I cannot get married (not that this is on the cards, but still)
  • Wondering if I should create a support bubble for sheer variety
Current wisdom on leaving the UK seems to be:
Developments in the coronavirus pandemic remain uncertain around the world. No travel is risk-free. If you do need to travel abroad before 2 December (and are legally permitted to do so, for example, because it is for work), even if you are returning to a place you’ve visited before, you should look at the rules in place at your destination, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) travel advice and the current travel corridor list.

Is travelling home for Christmas/New Years legally permitted? Tough questions. I'm a bit tired of the endlessly cascading logistics. I can only imagine what it's like for the GDS copywriters. The manoeuvring and contortions continue.

Speaking of contortions, what is with the trend of puritan collars? For just £29.99 you can look like a young feminist with a puritanical streak? I find this juxtaposition disquieting, and as Jenn said yesterday when we were chatting about it on our autumnal wander, now is not the time for irony. 


And now we just have the US Election to observe. That impeached mumbling cheeto fascist WHO DIDN'T DIE knows a thing or two about hedonism.