When Globalization Is Good For Women.

A session at BlogHer.
  • Bev - writing in 2 different languages requires 4 different voices
  • language and context
  • blogging in english is where the community was
  • separation of message in translation
  • use the language imbalance as you might the gender imbalance
  • Noriko - professional writer, why would i blog? it seems so easy
  • blogging is american style - provocative, not contemplative
  • for me to be provocative makes me uncomfortable
  • to "brand" yourself might lead to repetition
  • you don't get to read other languages
  • define what you say by what you would not say
  • i'm not interested in myself... there's never an answer
  • discover your inner bitch!?
  • Anna - normal news isn't for us. we created a news source.
  • globalization has lead to affecting change from the other side of the world
  • "pre-loaded with cultural sensitivity"
  • definition of audience - unapologetically south asian, second generation immigrants
  • sepiamutiny.com/sepia/ - "anything brown"
  • Dina - voicing my thoughts has liberated me
  • i control my environment
  • my community is global
  • problems in india? liberation is threatening traditional power structures
  • the global world is not hierarchical
  • not many pre-ordained rules
  • need a blogroll of international/cultural/across language boundaries
  • software side to loss in translation
  • basic human interaction is global
  • globalisation makes room for identity
  • i won't be tarred by the same brush as everyone else in my race because you can hear me
  • i hope the conversation continues...
Panelists:
english.safe-democracy.org/bios/takiguchi-noriko.html
dinamehta.com/
btrayner.blogspot.com/
anna.typepad.com/diary/