Where am I?

Every now and then, I look back over my blog of 6 years or so and remember. Because I don't have a TV anymore, tonight is one of those nights.

I uncovered a report from the city, issued on November 12, 2005, when I'd just moved to San Francisco. It stated that I'd done fairly well landing in my new home (San Francisco), but that there were still some things to do. I wrote an update to this on July 13, 2007, noting what had changed, and thought it might be nice to do that again, noting what might be next.

Here's the To-Do list from way back when, and updates:
  • Find the perfect hairstylist - I still visit sporadically with Clare at Zip Zap (thanks John), but must admit that the last time I went, I'd left it so long that I'd had to cut my own hair - my fringe, or "bangs", specifically. When I saw Clare she scoffed at my rustic attempt at art, and immediately cut my hair quite short and feathery. Must learn to be specific and definite with direction. Mary Jane + Rock?

  • Throw my first housewarming bash - It's time I had another party. Quite a different make-up from the first, I expect. (See below.)

  • Purchase automobile - As you may know, a while ago, I purchased a car via eBay. It was epic, and I have loved her ever since. Thanks to her red exterior/interior, I, or actually, Michele, named her "Snatch", and jokes have sprung forth ever since. "Would you like a ride in my snatch?" etc. Today, I replenished all her fluids (coolant, power steering bizzo, washer fluid) and I'm convinced she leaks more oil than normal and is in need of a service. She's also a bit grubby, and probably needs a wax. Etc.

  • Take more photos of the city - It's funny. Since I got laid off from Flickr, I've certainly noticed I've taken less photos in general, including less of San Francisco. I've had 2 rolls of undeveloped 120 and a black and white something from a holiday before rolling around in my new-ish seatbelt handbag for probably over a month. I remember I should take the film to Photoworks often, but never seem to get there. Just today, I thought perhaps of trying to paint something. That's about the first time I've ever thought that since high school, when I was forced. I think I might have realised I don't have to document it because it's much more fun living it. The city has begun to reveal herself to me, in those ways you can only know as you wander her streets and talk with her people. I love having guests now -- even though I always do -- because I can feel like I can show them my city. That feels good.

  • Explore California - I've seen more of the place, definitely. It is big country, and a good way to see it is to drive at random through it, hopefully stumbling on a place to stay every now and then. Highlights include Point Reyes, Jenner, and Boron, amongst other bits.

  • Take a writing short course at 826 Valencia - Still haven't done this. Have met various people who have. Am not jealous. Should strike from list?

  • Get more kitchen stuff - It was only today that I visited one of my favourite spots in the city, Cookin', a wonderful 22 year old store on Divisadero, owned by a white cooking witch called Judy, with whom I always chat, and from whom I always buy too many things. She apparently travels to France each year, and has far too many copper goods to be safe. Today I purchased: a metal chicken-roasting pan, a baking dish that's lovely, a largish enamel pot, a delightful colander with stars punched in it, an expensive wooden spoon, a ladle, and what I went into the shop for, a potato masher. Apparently, says Judy, I always manage to pick new things. That's probably not because of my eagle eye, but more likely that the things I see are simply on top of enormous old piles. I can only imagine what her house looks like. She began to tell me about her item classification system today, which was very exciting. I'd say she's a bona fide cookware archivist. (I bought a few "F7s" which were new this week. Didn't get to the bottom of it, of course. Couldn't guess it at a moment's notice, of course. "Oh, 7... means July?" "Well, yes, but not. There's an alphabetical element too. Otherwise, how would I know where anything is?" I kid you not.)

  • See the Grand Canyon - Done! I went on a lovely roadtrip with Matt earlier this year. We traveled through California, Arizona, Utah and Nevada over 5 short days. We were in close proximity to gobsmacking old geology, and each other. Really, really great.

  • Find peace with my commute - Ha ha ha ha ha hahahahahaha. Looking back now, I only ask myself what the hell was I thinking? Since July 2007, I have left Flickr and am now working in the lovely Presidio, here in San Francisco. I drive to work, in my very own snatch (even though she's a bit rattle-y). It takes me about 20 minutes, and sometimes I stop at Martha's on Clement on the way for a coffee and a sesame bagel with cream cheese for breakfast. It's particularly nice at this time of year, aka "summer", when the fog is thick and the air is chilly. I would like to take some more walks in the surrounds, I must say. To all the people who live more than 40 miles from where they work, STOP IT.

  • Meet more people who aren't computery - It's good here. People are genuine, interested, and fun. I should note that there are also many more very small friends in my midst since the time of last writing. Some of whom have left again to the green and pleasant land.
So there you go.