COVID-19 Journal: Day 7

As I write, I'm listening to my dear old friend who I haven't seen for a billion years, Heather, telling everyone who's listening and watching on Instagram about her farm animals on her farm in Oregon. It's strange and wonderful. I'm also listening to Liszt's Three Petrarch Sonnets, which I found out about because I read the unsettling story called Edward the Conqueror by Roald Dahl. I read it to myself this morning, and, I was shocked that I was shocked by the story, and upset by the ending. He's good like that, Mr. Dahl.

It's Saturday, so I'm doing what's normal for me, which is sweet F A. It's important that we keep some things consistent, I think, in this time of great upheaval, albeit couch-based upheaval.

Yesterday, I went for a ride and it was weird and fun. Sunny as get out, I got from my place to the middle of the Millenium Bridge in about 25 minutes. The streets get a bit gnarly as you get to closer to the river, but I had fun just following my nose, and that's where I ended up.

Scruffy biker

My view

On the Millenium Bridge looking southwest (?)

St Pauls

It did feel a bit strange to be riding about in a traffic-light London, but I loved it. I saw other humans, mostly men, mostly on their own, but the odd family or pair, too. It made me feel as if I was an animal at a watering hole. Lots of other animals I don't know come to the same watering hole to drink, but we don't really engage, even though everyone definitely looks at everyone else. I stood on the bridge in the sun for a bit. A woman walked very close to me, at my back as I leaned on the railing, and I thought, have you read the news, woman? I felt weird, so I left. As I left, just out of shot on that last photo, there was a Fitness Man running towards his own phone propped up on a backpack on the ground. You go, Fitness Man, you do you.

What tribes will form? Who will we become? Here are some early ideas:
  1. Stupid-not-Braves
  2. Braves
  3. Hacktivists
  4. Jokers
  5. The Timids
  6. Space Invaders
  7. Sticklers
  8. Darts
  9. Past Crushers
Here's about how far I can get from my place in the same amount of time it took me to get to the bridge. (Thanks for the idea, Gill.)




Time to see the sights! But, please, everyone, if you're riding -- which I heartily recommend -- be safe. An accident now would be a fucking nightmare.

This was my favourite thing I saw on the internet today. Yes, I know it's a bit mean, but. (Majestic Wines is a booze delivery service.)