COVID-19 Journal: Day 16

Such is my devotion that I write tonight from bed. I hope this doesn't happen again because I'm normally a no-devices-in-the-bedroom person. Although I have been listening to podcasts to drift off to sleep recently. But anyway.

Today I completed my daily communications late morning and there was blue sky outside so I decided to go to the Tesco's. I made sure I had a list and plenty of bags and my bandana and gloves and sensible shoes. I had written Chicken? on the list to remind me to check if there was any.

Got there, and there were people queuing outside, at approximately two metres. A chap rode through the group on his bike and the lady in front of me shook her head and tutted under her breath. Two loud young women came and stood behind me and I enjoyed eavesdropping on their young woman language. Something about beating someone up outside something something. There is usually a chap begging leaning against the bin, and he came out of the Tesco's with a big packet of potato chips, a sausage roll and a can of drink. He sat back down on his bedding and tucked into the sausage roll.


Le Queue. You can see the chap who sits by the bin's yellow bedding.


I didn't have to wait too long until the nice chap on the automatic door opened it himself to let one out, one in. The tutter was already there with a large trolley doing her rounds. I would encounter her later in a stalemate as she tuttily waited for someone apparently excruciatingly slow to grab something from a bottom shelf. I packed my basket to the hilt even before I got to the meat bit. All stuff on the list -- noting there were no longer any Tunnocks Caramel Wafers, a stash of which is hiding in my fridge and it's actually a bit difficult to decide when to eat them because they're more valuable than gold now that the factory has stopped making them because pandemic -- and I was amazed to see the meat bit pretty well stocked! So I dove in and grabbed a chicken, a rump steak, lardons (obvs), and 6 Cumberland sausages. YES. Also, got a giant stash of dried fruit because I have to make hot cross buns. Never done it before, but they're like hen's teeth around here so I have to. Plus dried fruit is good snacking.


The Motherlode


After all that I had too much stuff to go to the grocers, so I'll do that expedition tomorrow. I'm practically out of fresh stuff now. I have one green apple, one orange, one eggplant, a few lemons, a courgette and a leek, so time to go back I think. I have a list. Love a list.

Anyway, I got it all back. Put some stuff away. Forgot milk! Darn it. Washed hands a lot. Left some stuff out. Pretty sure I botched the hygiene whatever but did wash my hands a lot. And more later. Said fuck it I'm having steak for lunch. Did that. It was a big lunch.

The thing that struck me today was that now my wall calendar has when the stuff in the fridge will pass its use-by date instead of glamorous parties. Another first! Yay pandemic!


Hot date on Easter Sunday with a chicken's use-by date