COVID-19 Journal: Day 30

Wow. Day 30.

I think I had so much fun yesterday riding around the city, a true and honest staycation day, I'm worried I'm starting to enjoy this. It was SO COOL. A real reward for the weird cleaning I've been doing because I've spent all this time inside my house and normally can easily ignore those little grubby things you can overlook until they're literally staring you in the face for days on end. You know, like vacuuming the couch, washing the curtains, and, my favourite so far with a lovely result, cleaning my bedroom windows for the first time in a timeframe I shall not reveal because it's embarrassing. I didn't clean all the windows in the house -- I think that's actually quite dangerous -- so they'll continue staring. I was so excited I left the blind in my bedroom up and that was a terrible mistake because I woke with the glorious sun at bloody 06:30 or something. Blarg.

Got up. Didn't yoga (because of giant ride yesterday + lazy). Did family call. Loads of OatesJokes. Back to work. Braved Tesco. Feels like most of us are getting the hang of it now. Also feels like some of us have not been paying attention and are still too close or not moving to give distance which is probably getting just plain rude at this point?

It would appear from this chap's t-shirt that he works at the fish and chip shop which I've been tempted variously to enter but have not

Not sure what else to say today, so I'll end there. Oh, but I'm wondering how much there'll be to say now that we're getting used to things. Two random facts I've been trying to figure out how to work into a blog post are:
  1. There are somewhere around 80,000-100,000 people in solitary confinement at any one time in the USA but nobody knows an accurate figure, and 
  2. "On average, it takes more than 2 months before a new behavior becomes automatic — 66 days to be exact. And how long it takes a new habit to form can vary widely depending on the behavior, the person, and the circumstances. In Lally's study, it took anywhere from 18 days to 254 days for people to form a new habit." (This is a quote from a web page that does well on Google that references an academic paper from 2009.)
Obviously, we're not in solitary confinement, though I have heard the phrase "until civil liberties return". I didn't consume any news today, so I'm not sure how We're feeling about how long everything will go on. Isn't it funny how you pick up snippets -- "It'll be remote teaching into the autumn" / "some of the stores in Europe will be opening again soon" -- from friends, but none of us are very sure.

Just had a simple late dinner of some roast carrots and potatoes made considerably more delicious with a quick raita situation: creamy yoghurt, mint and coriander chopped up, 1/2 tsp of cumin, pinch of Maldon, and cucumber, de-seeded and diced. Yum!