COVID-19 Journal: Day 58

It's 23:37 and I'm thinking I should probably make some contraption to play the opening theme from Murder She Wrote or Miss Marple Does Dallas as I sit down to write?



I've just realised that I may actually be Jessica Fletcher. Everything you see her doing in the opening credits I HAVE DONE in the lockdown. Apart from the fishing.

Today I wasn't sure what day it was but it's Monday. I had to go to the printer's to pick up a proof of a booklet I'm designing for work which is fun and the proof looks great. You should always get a proof because you'll realise that your design was definitely not as perfect as you thought it was so that's helpful and I've fixed it. I went by the shop and got some #essench soda water and a couple of beers and a Magnum, continuing my studies. The Magnum theory I'm testing currently is Can you get sick of Mint Magnums. Nothing conclusive yet.

I forgot to wash my hands for ages when I got back. I'm sorry, and I'm just trying to be honest, and I think I may have put a finger very close to my eyes and possibly even my nostrils but I'm not 100% sure on that. You may recall as Lord Kate teaches us, we all touch our faces about three million times a second, so it's very, very likely. Christ, I hope I haven't fucked everything up.

Also, as I was working this morning, I took a slightly obnoxious #bestlife photo for work insta of my small desk full of crap with a mildly ostentatious book in it.

GERTRUDE STEIN

It's called Food and it's another in that series of classic essays by clever people put out by Penguin. But, let me tell you, I opened one of the beers and sat in the late afternoon sun to read it and, well, her words were like water off a duck's back. It's the first Stein writing I've read, and, well, it may well be the last. If you like her stuff, do let me know why.

I was going to quote you what she says about CELERY but I may have chucked the book in the recycling. If it turns up, I'll be sure to regale you.