COVID-19 Journal: Day 91

I'm not sure if the first wave has broken yet or if we're now in a phase of local eddies or if the second wave is building or what, but, I feel like everything is going to OK because today I had the first sausage roll I've had in at least 91 days.

I LOVE sausage rolls. Especially good ones. I also love sesame prawn toast. I have to eat both of these foodstuffs when they are proximal.

Had a sunny wandering morning in Victoria Park, searching for a remarkable Black Mulberry which turned out to be hidden in closed up chest hospital grounds, looked at bikes, found another park I've never been in, etc.

I've been watching documentary and historical footage which I've enjoyed, since reading seems challenging? Here are some of the things I've been looking at:

On YouTube
On Netflix
  • Disclosure - Documentary about the depiction and visibility of trans people in film and television has changed since film began. Helpful to how media representations both reflect and inform social change around trans issues.
  • 13th - Wow. Made by Ava du Vernay, this documentary starts with investigation of the US prison industrial complex and ends up being what she calls a "primer" on the ways in which the system of slavery has adapted and shifted into what we see there today. Important. So named to refer to the 13th Amendment of the US ConstitutionPassed by Congress on January 31, 1865, and ratified on December 6, 1865, the 13th amendment abolished slavery in the United States and provides that "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction." If you choose one thing on the list to watch, I'd choose this.
I have also seen more of Civic Square's Department of Dreams sessions. Hearing younger new voices is excellent and impressive and while I am feeling a bit old I am also feeling excited and as Dave Chappelle commented on his first lockdown standup session on June 6, I would be comfortable in the back seat, not needing to drive, but very happy to go on the journey. But not passive either! I could arrange the metaphorical snacks. And help with directions. But not overbearingly, or dominating, or too-late-to-be-useful way.

Happy solstice. I'm loving these light evenings, although I've been waking up far too early for my liking. But, everything's not going to be OK thanks to sausage rolls as much as I would like that. Queen Angela's advice is to find an organisation doing good work and join it and help.